Monday Minute, November 2, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

A number of you have asked about the composition of the Blue Ribbon Committee, which the provost thought should consist of no more than 10 faculty, staff, students, and community members. After consultation with deans, heads, and directors across the college, I have asked the following colleagues to participate, all of whom have accepted:

Lee Anderson - Architecture
Brad Hokanson - Design, Housing, and Apparel
Janice Linster - Alumni
Martha McDonell - Staff
Tom Meyer - Advisory Board
Kristine Miller - Landscape Architecture
Shona Mosites - Undergraduate Student
Monica Sklar - Graduate Student
Greg Van Bellinger - Advisory Board
Mary Vogel - Research and Outreach

I will urge the committee to think about larger trends affecting higher education and our disciplines as they make recommendations in response to the provost's request to look at what needs more investment, maintenance at current levels, reduced support, or elimination. I will also ask them to gather ideas from, and report back to, their constituent group.

To that end, we have assembled articles from recent issues of the Chronicle of Higher Education and the New York Times education supplement to offer context and spur their discussions. The more good ideas we have for our compact meeting with the Provost in late February about how to move forward, the better we will all be, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts!

Tom

Related links: