Monday Minute, November 23, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

On this Thanksgiving week, we have much to be thankful for. The Community Fund Drive ended a few weeks ago, having raised $1.185 million, only $50,000 less than last year and above all the years prior to that. Our college came in slightly above the University average, with 34.4 percent of our colleagues giving in some amount, compared with 32.6 percent across the institution. I am grateful to all who took part in the drive. To achieve that level of support in this economy is remarkable.

I also want to thank all who have had their laptops encrypted. I know this creates an extra step for all of us when we log on to our computers, but one of our colleagues had his laptop stolen and returned to him that same day by the police, who thought that the thieves had dumped it once they realized that it was of no use to them encrypted. While I hope none of us lose our laptops, knowing that we might have them returned because of their encryption makes the inconvenience of this security measure more than worth it.

Have a good Thanksgiving holiday.

Tom