Monday Minute, November 30, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I mentioned briefly in a previous Monday Minute Brad Hokanson's appointment as the new director of the Design Institute (DI). We have prepared the attached press release, which will go out to a much broader audience this week, but I wanted you, as our college community, to see it first. I also want to take this opportunity to thank Brad for his willingness to take on this leadership position and to thank all of you who attended meetings regarding the DI and Brad's vision for it.

We hope to build on the previous accomplishments and the international "brand" of the DI, while recognizing that it needs to be more integrated into the life of the college and more focused on the pressing challenges that we now face, some of which hardly existed when the DI began a decade ago. At the same time, the very things our college and the DI have to offer -- innovation, creativity, and the imagination of alternative futures -- has never been in greater demand. Brad is the perfect person to lead such an effort, and please join me in congratulating him on this appointment.

Tom