Monday Minute, February 15, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

The University Foundation has decided not to pursue a capital campaign in the next few years for various reasons, ranging from the economic downturn to the coming change in leadership in the President's office. The Foundation has, however, asked each college to articulate a development vision that we think will have the greatest appeal to donors, based on the strengths of our faculty, staff, and students.

We have drafted a short case statement of what that collegiate vision could entail (attached). The statement arises out of conversations we have had as a community over the last few years as well as from my observations of where we have a particular competitive advantage as a college.

Have a look at the draft case statement and let me or development director Sue Danielson Bretheim (danie002@umn.edu) know how you might see your work fitting into these categories and who, among your contacts, you think might be interested in hearing more about what we are doing in these areas and how they might be able to help.

Our goal is to raise money to support our students, faculty, units, facilities, and equipment. This development effort will continue over the next three to five years, so we have time to evolve it, but I wanted your input before we show it to the Provost in March. We look forward to your thoughts.

Tom