The University's entry in the 2009 Department of Energy Solar Decathlon, ICON house, which took fifth place in the international competition, is for sale. A pre-purchase proposal meeting and site visit takes place Monday, March 29, 2010, at the University's ReUse Center. Interested buyers are required to submit a purchase proposal by April 12, 2010.
The 550-square-foot home was designed and built by a consortium of professionals and students in the Institute of Technology, College of Design, and College of Continuing Education. ICON house as a retail value of more than $550,000; the minimum bid on the house will be $200,000.
The house is currently disassembled and a $20,000 allowance will be offered by the University for consulting and assistance in assembling the house. More information on the purchase process is available online. Interested buyers can contact Chip Foster, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UMNews: "University of Minnesota's award-winning solar-powered house to be available for purchase"
- "U of M to take bids on eco-house built for international competition" by Elizabeth Dunbar, Minnesota Public Radio
- "Solar house for sale, some assembly required" by Leslie Brooks Susukamo, Pioneer Press
- Bring me the news: "MN-made, solar-powered, 550 square-foot house could be yours"
- Green Technology: "Minnesota Solar Decathlon ICON House Available for Sale"
- Domesticfuel.com: "Award Winning Minnesota Solar Home for Sale"
- "For sale: Student-built solar house" by Jenna Ross, Star Tribune
- "University to sell ICON Solar House" by Brent Renneke, Minnesota Daily