Monday Minute, May 17, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

My thanks to all the faculty and staff who attended our commencement on Saturday. It went smoothly -- after we found the academic robes sitting in a bin on the third floor of Northrop Auditorium -- and the students and their families and friends who I talked to seemed very happy. The financial health of the college depends, in part, on the support of our alumni, and the satisfaction with their education so amply evident among our graduating students on Saturday bodes well for the long-term prospects of our institution. It's a legacy that everyone in the college passes on to the future.

I also wanted to announce the newest center in the college: the Wearable Product Design Center. Initiated by Karen LaBat, Missy Bye, Marilyn DeLong, and Lucy Dunne in Apparel Design, the center already has its own Web site, which I encourage you to visit. While our strategic planning will likely take many forms across the diverse units in the college, I think this center offers a model for what others might consider. It links the teaching, research, and outreach activities of the faculty; it stakes out a nationally significant focus for the program; and it has a communications effort already underway on the web, with an easily searchable name to maximize the chances that people will find it. Kudos to our apparel design colleagues.

Finally, let me reiterate what I said at the faculty and staff lunch today in McNeal Hall: thank you for a very successful academic year. Through your diligence and hard work, revenues have gone up, enrollments remain strong, and our teaching, research, and outreach activities continue to flourish -- all good things to contemplate over the coming summer months.

Tom