Hat Habitats exhibit at Architecture and Landscape Architecture Library

"Off the Top of My Head: Hat Habitats" in the Architecture and Landscape Architecture Library gallery features the work of artists Ryan Haro and Cynthia Rapacz. The work is a melange of artistry including photography, design, fashion, and architecture that become fanciful vignettes of the life of the hat. This summer exhibition is on display through August 13, 2010.

Twin Cities native, Ryan Haro, is an architect and photographer. By age 13 he was using a Nikon 35mm film camera "and things took off with my interest in capturing the moments". Haro subsequently spent hours experimenting with image content. By 2005, he began working with a digital camera that would completely replace his shooting with film cameras. Haro has focused on capturing the work of performance artists. He is currently interested in portfolio concept pieces for artists and performers, as well as live event documentary.

Hats 3.JPG
Image from Off the Top of My Head: Hat Habitats exhibition

Minneapolis based artist, Cynthia Rapacz, is a graduate student at Hamline University. While pursuing her studies, Rapacz continues to create multimedia artworks that focus on culture and the integration of old and new imagery. Her studies abroad for almost five years in South Korea, Italy, China and Japan serve as a platform for art. Rapacz began working with hats in 1999, the inspiration in part from her grandmother's collection. As her grandmother discarded old hats she began to rework and redesign the pieces, often using just the bones of the hat to make a new creation on an old frame.

Hats 1.JPG

Hats 4.JPG