The College of Design's Outreach Slam is scheduled for Friday, November 12, 2010, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., in 33 McNeal Hall. [Note: room has been changed to 10 McNeal Hall.] An award for best presentation will be made by popular vote and refreshments will be served at the conclusion of the event.
"The Outreach Slam highlights the importance of our work to the people of the State of Minnesota, it demonstrates to the University the depth and breadth of the investigations that the College undertakes, and it shares and connects the work of individuals to their colleagues, opening doors to innovation and collaboration," said Associate Dean for Research and Outreach Brad Hokanson (Graphic Design). "In reality, it is a celebration of the work of the college and it reveals an often hidden, yet critical component, of our University mission. This work changes the lives of people in the state. Work presented will range from projects that digitize the museum collections to the guiding of legislation dealing with mortgage foreclosures."
Representative participants and topics include:
- Benjamin Ibarra Sevilla (Architecture): The cloud
- Tasoulla Hadjiyanni (Interior Design): Toward culturally sensitive housing
- Eunice Haugen (Goldstein Museum of Design): Museum digitization project
- Virajita Singh (Center for Sustainable Building Research): Sustainable design in the community
- Becky Yust and Lyn Bruin (both Housing Studies): Healthy homes in Hennepin County
- UMNews media advisory: "'Outreach Slam' highlights U of M College of Design's connections to Minnesota"