Monday Minute, April 4, 2011

Colleagues,

My thanks to all who participated in and offered feedback on the Director of External Relations search. The search committee unanimously recommended Trevor Miller for the position, and I am happy to announce that he has accepted our offer. Trevor served as the transition director for former Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold, following his tenure as the Senator's political and communications director. His experience in public policy, communications strategy, coalition building, and fundraising, coupled with his drive and level of creative thinking, offer a unique combination that fits well with the college's vision for external relations. Trevor and his family will relocate from the Milwaukee area, so over these next two months he will make a few visits to campus, while doing his homework about the college, gathering information on the state of our external relations, and taking care of arrangements for his family's move. He offically begins, full-time, in early June, and we will have a welcome event of some sort shortly thereafter.

I am also pleased to announce that Missy Bye has accepted the position of head of the Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel effective June 20. In another unanimous recommendation, the search committee recognized Missy's understanding of the critical issues that the department and college face and her ability to work effectively toward positive change. I concur completely with the committee's assessment and I look forward to her leadership of the department as another successful chapter in its long history.

Speaking of DHA, the Women's Faculty Cabinet at the University has selected Becky Yust for receipt of its 2011 Leadership Award. The award recognizes faculty who have exhibited leadership and a commitment to promoting diversity and the advancement of women at the University. The Women's Faculty Cabinet will present the award to her on Tuesday at their spring workshop, as a timely acknowledgment of Becky's years of service as head of DHA. On behalf of the entire college community, I both thank and congratulate her for the commitment that this award represents.

Finally, our second Design Intersections symposium occurred last week and it received outstanding reviews. The topic of Design Thinking for Healthcare Innovation drew attendees from the medical, public health, and insurance communities, as well as design colleagues and the public at large. This kind of event showcases the synergies that our college brings to the table when we partner with others who share our vision for improving the quality of people's lives. It's an exciting time for our disciplines!

Tom