The College of Design has an opportunity for a journalism, marketing, communications, or other media-savvy student to gain valuable hands-on experience in its Communications Office for fall 2011 and spring 2012, with possibility of continuing through summer 2012.
- write feature and news content for college publications, including print magazine, e-newsletter/blog, Web site, and social media (75%)
- assist Communication staff index, organize, or obtain information, including electronic photo library (15%)
- take photos or videos, post content on blog or Web (5%)
- copyedit, fact check, proofread copy (5%)
The Communications Office consists of a director, graphic designer, and external relations coordinator. Communications works closely with colleagues in the alumni relations and events office and the development (fundraising) office. We are located in McNeal Hall on the St. Paul campus.
Hours: to be arranged, anywhere from 12-20 per week.
This internship is unpaid; academic credit may be available through your academic department.
Desired, but not mandatory, qualifications include: Some past experience writing for publication (Web or print); familiarity with using social media for promotional and marketing functions; knowledge of an editorial style system (i.e. AP, Chicago, APA); ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure; responsible and organized.
To be considered for an interview, please submit the following:
- cover letter addressing what you hope to gain from the internship and describing coursework or experience you have that would make you a valuable intern
- three writing samples (no term papers)
College of Design
32 McNeal Hall
1985 Buford Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55108