Monday Minute, October 3, 2011: Our Mission

Tom Headshot.jpgDear Colleagues,

As we get ready for our first faculty and staff assemblies on Friday, I thought I would preview a portion of each program by unveiling an updated mission statement, based off of your strategic plans and on conversations among the deans and department heads this summer:

Through a unique commitment to creativity and advancing technologies, the College of Design at the University of Minnesota leads, innovates, and educates in the full range of design fields by engaging in ongoing and emerging issues, acting on and exploring new opportunities, and solving problems; all while adhering to socially responsible, sustainable, and collaborative design thinking.

We create, we engage, we act, and the scholarship, research, and education we provide goes above and beyond what any design school is doing today. That was reflected in your strategic planning, and it's now reflected in our mission.

Your important planning also gave us the direction for our vision and showed us not simply a way forward with words, but also with actions. We have developed a draft vision statement that tries to capture the energy and foresight of your plans, which I will present for discussion at our two assemblies.

I look forward to talking more about this on Friday. Have a good week.

-Tom