Inspiring Place / Landscape Architect Jerry de Gryse (BLA, 79) Win Multiple 2011 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects Awards

Australian 1.jpgInspiring Place, led by Jerry de Gryse (BLA, 1979), scooped the pool at the 2011 Australian Institute of Landscape Architects (Tasmania) biennial awards. Inspiring Place won an Award for Planning for its Design Guidelines for Nature Based Tourism - Victoria, an Award of Excellence in Urban Design for its Urban Design Strategy - Kangaroo Bay, and the Medal for Landscape Architecture.

The Medal was given to Inspiring Place for its work at Saffire, a luxury eco-tourism resort on Tasmania's east coast. The jury commented that the project "persuasively conveys the key role of landscape architecture in fostering a deep sense of stewardship and engagement with the unique Tasmanian landscapes that support, inspire and delight both visitors and inhabitants alike."

The jury also noted "the outstanding leadership and influence of the landscape architect in guiding the client, contractors and project consultants through a clearly articulated, principles-based approach to site design & management for long-term sustainability."

The Medal is the top prize given in one year, and it is only awarded to one winner. This year is the first time that it has been awarded in Tasmania.

Australian 2.jpg"I'm pleased to lead a team of skilled people, working across the broad spectrum of work in the profession," said de Gryse. "My initial experiences in the profession in Minnesota still guide me in my work. My mentors, and now friends, Herb Baldwin, Jim Robin, Peter Olin and Roger Martin challenged me to be the best I could be as a student and still inspire me to excel 30 years on."

Inspiring Place is a multi-disciplinary planning and design firm whose aim is to lead in the practice of linking nature, culture and community to create inspiring places. Particular expertise includes landscape architecture, environmental planning, recreation and tourism.

For photos, the full citations and more information on the awards, see the AILA awards homepage. For more on the Department of Landscape Architecture, visit them online.