Monday Minute, November 14, 2011: Can design change the world?

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Tom Headshot.jpgDear Colleagues,

Tonight Bernard Canniffe (MCAD) and I will be participating in Policy and a Pint at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis, with Sean Kershaw of the Citizens League moderating the conversation.

The question of the evening: Can design change the world? I don't think I'm giving anything away here by answering that with a resounding YES, even if we often do it one project, one person, or one policy at a time..

That affirmative answer is an obvious one for all of us, but the fact that The Current, The Citizens League, and Best Buy have come together for a forum to pose such a question is yet further proof that design as we know it is increasingly recognized as an essential ingredient for change by those outside of our disciplines.

I mentioned just a few of the items our students have been recognized for last week, and for anyone who was at the AIA convention last Thursday, one of the best attended and most talked about sessions was headlined by our architecture students discussing their work to rebuild Haiti.

So, not only can design, in fact, change the world, but I believe that our College is at the leading-edge of this movement. We're addressing and solving real-world problems and doing things that no other design school in the country is doing, or even thinking about doing. Thanks to each of you for your work in making the College of Design a leader in this area.

One last note: A group of us from the College will be having our follow-up meeting with folks from Target on Friday. As I've mentioned in the past, there were a lot of wonderful ideas discussed during our recent two-day summit with them, and I'll be sure to report back on our progress in the coming days.

Have a good week.

Tom