Monday Minute, February 6, 2012: Moving Forward

Thumbnail image for Tom Headshot.jpgDear Colleagues,

You may have already heard that we received notice last week indicating that, while we made a compelling argument for our coming together as a college on one campus, the University decided that it has more urgent facilities needs and that the renovation of the Armory for our use will not be on the University's next three capital requests to the legislature through 2018. This was disappointing news. However, I also view this as a chance to rethink our current space needs and how we might use technology and other avenues to bring our disciplines closer together even with our college remaining on two campuses for the foreseeable future.

I am scheduled to meet with Vice President for University Services, Kathy O'Brien, a week from Friday to discuss other possibilities moving forward, and we plan to put some space ideas in our compact request, a draft of which I will send out next week for your feedback. I will report back on what comes of these and other conversations during the Faculty Assembly in late February.

In the meantime, I would welcome any thoughts or ideas you might have about ways we might achieve more flexible, fluid, and dynamic interactions among ourselves despite our spatial separation. As Churchill said, "an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty," and I think we are poised to show the University what that means.

Have a good week.

Tom