Monday Minute, May 7, 2012: Ending the Academic Year on a High Note
Thumbnail image for mondayminute2.jpgColleagues,

I know that everyone is wrapping up classes this week, but I wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate you on another excellent academic year. Over the last week, I've had the opportunity to review in person and online much of the work our students in Rapson and McNeal have produced. I am continually amazed at the high-level, quality work on display. Thank you for your continued efforts to get the very best out of each of our students.

As the year wraps up, I wanted to let you know about the investments the University has decided to make in our college through the compact process. I learned last week that three of our requests were given the green light and await the regent's formal approval process. Those investments include:

1. Permanent tenured faculty line to serve as the director of the Center for Sustainability Building Research (CSBR)
  2. Permanent tenured/tenure-track faculty line in Product Design
  3. P&A position for Public Interest Design

As Regents chair Linda Cohen told the Star Tribune in an article that appeared over the weekend: "Despite being very frugal... we're also going to invest in the teaching, research and outreach aspects to keep the university excellent."

Your personal investment in our college, combined with these compact investments, enables us to be in a position to continue to help lead the way toward achieving excellence for the entire university.

Speaking of excellence, for those who were unable to attend last Friday's 'Honors and Awards' breakfast, please find a listing of all of the winners here. Congratulations to everyone who was nominated.

I hope you're able to make it to the college-wide assembly in Rapson next Monday, starting at 9:00 AM. To RSVP, please fill out this form.

Thanks again for a wonderful academic year.

Sincerely,

Tom