Monday Minute, September 24, 2012: Putting U on the Map
Thumbnail image for mondayminute2.jpgDear Colleagues,

Regular readers of the Chronicle of Higher Education might have already seen this story and accompanying interactive map from earlier this month, but I wanted to share it to show how our university is recognized by our peer institutions and by those that aspire to be more like us. I think this is a testament to the dedication and work by you and our colleagues across the University.

Speaking of maps, Associate Dean Hokanson sent around this link earlier this month to show a project he has folks working on regarding the projects our College is currently engaged in around the globe. As he mentioned in his email, they recognize some of the data may be incomplete, so, to echo his earlier point, if you have completed an engagement project over the last three years, please let him know and he can have his team include your work.

And just last week I spent time in California at the WWW Conference talking about our work, mapping in general and the new patterns, intersections and real-world problems affecting our planet.

This type of mapping also highlights the overall realm of data visualization - which we see as one of the areas ripe with opportunity for designers. Information is a valuable tool, but the need and desire for information to be used to make better decisions has never been higher - and the role designers can play in both gathering, researching and transmitting such data has never been more important.

I look forward to talking more about this and the role our College can play in the coming weeks. Have a great week.

Sincerely,
Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for tfisher_signature_short.jpg

Tom Fisher
Professor and Dean
College of Design