Monday Minute, October 1, 2012: Design and Business
mondayminuteoct1.jpg
Colleagues,

I wanted to take the time this week to bring you all up to speed on some of the conversations the College has had regarding the intersection of design and business.

As set forth in our vision, we need to ensure our students fully understand the triple-bottom-line (people, planet, profit) aspect of their work.  We do an excellent job with the people and planet side, but the profit part probably needs more work. We have talked about this in our leadership discussions over the last year - specifically our retreat this summer - and I look forward to telling you more about this during the college assembly later this week.

Over the last week alone, in conversations I and others in the college have had with the Minnesota High Tech Association, Blood-Orange Consulting, and the Carlson School, specifically Assistant Dean Phil Miller and Toby Nord and Connie Rutledge of the Carlson Ventures Enterprise, the opportunity to develop partnerships that lead to a lasting impact on our students has never been greater.

The business world has increasingly come to realize that in order to develop and attract talent and good ideas, design education and creativity must play a central role in the process.  The folks I've spoken with are eager to grow our relationships moving forward.

I will keep you posted on these discussions and again, I look forward to seeing everyone at the assembly on Friday, where we will have a half hour with President Kaler at 9:30 am.

Have a good week,

Sincerely,
Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for tfisher_signature_short.jpg

Tom Fisher
Professor and Dean
College of Design