Interdisciplinary Studio: The Future of Duluth
14523_10151336836681113_1181523904_n.jpg[Update: December 14, 2012]
380174_10151336375916113_1268227792_n.jpg
Students in an interdisciplinary landscape architecture and architecture graduate studio presented their final projects at Clyde Iron Works in Duluth, MN on Wednesday, December 12.

Duluth Mayor Don Ness was in attendance, along with city planners, port authority workers, and design professionals from around the region. Over 100 people stopped by to see the projects during the two-hour event.

The Duluth News Tribune featured the graduate studio on their front page Thursday morning, and Fox News will broadcast a story about the student presentations later next week.

[Update: November 29, 2012]

Architecture and landscape architecture students in the Interdisciplinary Duluth studio project will give their final presentations in Rapson Hall in Minneapolis on Monday, December 10, 1:00 - 6:00 pm, and at Clyde Iron Works in Duluth on Wednesday, December 12, noon - 2:00 pm. Read more about the studio projects on the Meteek & Co. website, a remodeling company and project partner in Duluth.

Contact Cynthia Lapp (clapp@umn.edu) or (218) 343-9523 with questions.

DuluthStudio_ClydePoster_2012.jpg[Original Post: October 2, 2012]

DuluthStudio_EngerHill.jpg

At the end of September, 36 graduate students in Landscape Architecture and Architecture toured Duluth with five faculty members to conduct field research for an interdisciplinary studio project. They met with the director of economic development for the Duluth Seaway Port Authority, storm water specialists, senior city planners, faculty and staff from the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD), and Duluth mayor Don Ness. They also toured the UMD campus, the Duluth-Superior docks, and local manufacturing companies. 

"The design focus of the studio this semester is Duluth," explained Landscape adjunct assistant professor Cynthia Lapp. "All of the meetings and presentations were focused on giving the students context for the history of Duluth, and information from different facets of the city and community about what is needed in the future." 

DuluthStudio_BrightonBeach.jpg

Students and faculty also spent two day on the Iron Range touring mining operations in Hibbing, Virginia, and Taconite, where they met with MNDot officials about the proposed Hwy 53 realignment in St. Louis County between the cities of Eveleth and Virginia.

DuluthStudio_HawkRidge_03.jpg

More stories about landscape architecture: 

I'm a CALA alumni: let me know if I can do anything to host or facilitate your studio if you are up in Duluth again this season. My studio is downtown and reasonably spacious..other spaces available--- if you need them, I can help. Also consider attending the AIAMN organized Lake Superior Design Retreat in Duluth in February. We will sponsor a few scholarships to the event this year..see the AIAMN website and let me know if you have any interested students.
I would be interested in jurying any work that comes out of this studio. I'm a former instructor in the program there...again, let me know if this is possible.

Hi Cheryl - thanks for the generous offer. We'll be up in Duluth on December 12th at Clyde Iron Works from noon-two. Feel free to stop by and see the work. Our students will be presenting their work to Mayor Ness and others. We're hoping to continue this work next year as well; will try to get you more involved - best, Ozayr (one of the instructors in this studio)