[Video] Taylor Wichrowski Wins Nat'l Public Health Week Film Festival Contest

This spring, an ongoing partnership between the School of Public Health (SPH) and the College of Design gave graphic design students in Associate Professor Daniel Jasper's (Graphic Design) class an opportunity to create a range of promotional materials for the 2013 National Public Health Week Film Festival, April 1-5.

For the past four years, students Film Reel Icon copy.jpghave been challenged to create an identity for the event with a poster, flier, table tent, ad, and thank you card. "This is a difficult project for the students. They have to manage including a lot of content while defining the event itself," says Nichole Axtman, Special Events & Programs Coordinator for SPH, who helped select the winning project (pictured right) by Taylor Wichrowski. The design was incorporated into the film festival website identity. You can see all of the student designs on the Film Festival web page here.

As the partnership has evolved, attendance forThumbnail image for Film Fest Poster Winner.jpg the five night event rose from 776 attendees in 2010 to 1,052 attendees in 2012. "This experience allowed me to add to my portfolio and work with real-world clients," says Wichrowski. "Working on the project with Nichole allowed me to get a feel for what my career will be like post-college. It was a lot of fun to work on and made me even more excited about the future!"

The poster (pictured right) designed by graphic design student Daniel Loehmann was received the People's Choice award for earning the most votes on the film festival
website.

More stories about graphic design: