Product Design Students Put Toys On The Market
IMG_44440671.jpgThumbnail image for IMG_0824.jpgThere's a new toy on the market-and it started in Rapson Hall.

Adam Poetter (B.D.A. '11) was a teaching assistant for the inaugural Toy Product Design course taught by assistant professor Barry Kudrowitz in spring 2011. "I think all of the TAs felt like we were getting into something bigger than ourselves," said Poetter, who also received a B.S. in bioproducts and biosystems engineering. "[It was] a new way of doing things and a new way to approach engineering and design."

Untitled.jpgThe class introduces the product design process with a focus on designing for play, from initial brainstorms to testing to a final event for the public every spring called PLAYsentations. At the end of the semester Manhattan Toy sponsored Poetter and his classmates Colin Nelson and Andrew Maxwell-Parish to continue prototyping their ideas. The result, Motorworks, went on sale in spring 2013, with customizable wooden toy vehicles, accessories, and play sets.

"Every day I think I apply my multilingual abilities that I learned in Toy Product Design," said Poetter, who now works at Protolabs, a rapid prototyping and manufacturing company near the Twin Cities. "Thinking like a child is something designers and engineers don't do enough of."

More stories from the College of Design: