College of Design Student Blogs

Bonjour!

Bonjour! I'm writing this blog in Paris right now. I'm currently on break from school for a week, so I decided to take a trip to Paris for a couple of days. London is so close, so might as well. This last week my classmates and I handed in three major projects, so this break is much needed. Hopefully after this break, I'll be refreshed and ready to take on my last major class for the semester.

From my experience studying abroad so far, I have learned so much. The information and way of learning that they teach here has definitely elevated me as a designer. If you have a slight thought that you would like to study abroad, I would highly recommend it! Not only do you learn skills in your major to supplement your home university's teaching, but you also learn to become much more independent and self sufficient as a person. I can already tell that I've grown so much as person. I've attained new life skills that will definitely benefit me in the future. You'll learn problem solving skills and social skills, which you can take with you as you enter the workforce, and it also gives you interesting things to talk about when you interview for jobs.

Here are some pictures of Paris in my first day so far.

Paris 1.JPG
Paris 2.JPG
Paris 3.JPG
Paris 4.JPG

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my pics from Paris.

Until next time, I'll bid you adieu!

Lee
Apparel Design

Posted by tranx671 at 5:56 PM |

FAB-ulous!

Hello, everyone!

These past weeks in Minnesota have been a snowy few. However, the snow doesn't stop classes or events from being held. I want to take this blog post to share a little about my favorite student group on campus: FAB. Sounds FAB-ulous, right?

FAB stands for Fashion and Business. I first learned about this group when I was a sophomore and was having a difficult time getting involved on campus. My Center for Academic Planning and Exploration, or CAPE, coach recommended that I join FAB to meet and connect with other students interested in the opportunities that the fashion world has to offer. This group isn't specific to retail merchandising majors. The main thing that FAB members have in common is their passion for fashion and the endless opportunities the industry has to offer.

FAB holds many great events throughout the semester. Recently, they held an interview workshop that I found very helpful. They've also held tours of local Minneapolis boutiques, behind-the-scenes Mall of America tours, and other experiences that I would have never been able to have if I wasn't a part of FAB!

If you want to get involved around campus and are interested in fashion and business, I would highly suggest joining FAB! To learn more, check out its Facebook page!

I have my calendar marked for FAB's most recent event that will be taking place on Tuesday!

IMG_76111.jpg

Style On,
Bethanie
Retail Merchandising

Posted by Bethanie at 8:00 PM |

The Snow is Falling!

It has begun...the snow is falling and we can now say that winter is here. Some of us have grown up in Minnesota and snowy places like this, and others students are coming from places in which they have never encountered snow before. Either way, the U of M has some tricks up its sleeve for avoiding the cold and hopefully I can help you stay warm by sharing them!

WinterFlag.jpg

First we have the campus buses. I've mentioned how convenient they are in previous posts and I can't emphasize it enough--the buses are lifesavers! Not only can you get on the Campus Connector to go to the St. Paul campus, but there are Campus Circulators that are perfect for getting you shorter distances. The East Bank Circulator and St. Paul Circulator travel throughout campus, the Washington Avenue Bridge Circulator goes between East and West Banks, and the Weekend Circulator runs until 2 am to safely get you around campus on the weekends. These buses are so convenient and easy to use, and can really save you on colder days.

Second is the Gopher Way. Totally underestimated and unknown by many, the Gopher Way is a series of tunnels and paths that students can use to get around campus indoors without having to face the elements. There's an online map and PDF that offers information and shows exactly where the tunnels and paths are on all three campuses. You can get you pretty far without having to go outside. Take a look so you can start taking advantage of it!

Apart from the obvious solution of bundling up against the cold, I seriously recommend exploring these great options for getting around campus in the winter!

Stay warm!
Megan
Interior Design

Posted by mill6185 at 5:30 PM |

The Designed Environment.

Hello Readers,

If you have been keeping up with our Instagram you may have seen I've been on a few field trips around Minneapolis this semester. Visiting local examples of what you are studying in your courses is incredibly beneficial.

One of the reasons I feel the College of Design at the U of M is a great place to study architecture is because of the cities, Minneapolis and St. Paul. The architecture here is great, and one doesn't need to travel far to get in-person experiences. Through a few of my travels, and going on these field trips, I've learned that seeing and experiencing a building or place is quite different than studying it from a textbook. It's important to be able to relate local examples to other places one may be studying.

It's also essential to dive into the local design and become very familiar with your surroundings. I'm from a small town, so downtown Minneapolis is always a new learning experience. Last week, my class and I visited a few of the skyways within the extensive skyway system in downtown Minneapolis. This was all new to me, and I couldn't make sense of the map. It was interesting to visit the skyways, which are a rather unique element to a large city, and experience how they influence the culture of the downtown district.

skyway.mpls.jpg

-Margo
--Architecture

Posted by Margo at 11:13 AM |

Snow!

Snow! Snow seems to bring mixed emotions to many people. I find it exciting. Yes, it brings extra work and cold temps, but it creates a completely different mood and world. If anyone understands the added work it brings, it would be me.

I work for a landscape company that does snow removal in the winter and have spent plenty of sleepless nights plowing and shoveling. However, the white snow brings out every color and makes a sunny wintery day brighter than mid July.

Also, campus becomes a completely different place: roller blades are replaced with cross country skis, hockey and basketball become prevalent again, and everything is covered in snow. Bikers fall because they think they can still bike, and folks waiting for the campus buses--the Campus Connector and Campus Circulator--become covered in a breath-made cloud. Maybe the snow is just a sign that the holidays are right around the corner. I find it refreshing!

A snowy scene from around campus:

Snow_2.jpg

Some more inspiring winter images: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/23/45-winter-wonderland-photos/

Allen
Landscape Design and Planning

Posted by Allen at 10:54 AM |

Caution: Graphic Content Ahead

Hello Everyone!

Last night I attended the Caution: Graphic Content Ahead event put on by the Design Student and Alumni Board (DSAB) and it was phenomenal!

DSAB.jpg

The DSAB brought in a panel of younger designers to talk about their experiences when transitioning from college to career. With this being a source of one my biggest anxieties (along with a lot of other Juniors/Seniors), it was fantastic to hear each of their stories.

The panel was made up of:

Stacia Burtis, Designer at Zeus Jones
U of M '13 -- Graphic Design

Laura Anderson, Designer at Persicope
U of M '10 -- Graphic Design

Ashley Hohnstein, Associate Art Director/Designer at Target
UW-Stout '13 -- Graphic Design

Rett Martin, Digital Associate Creative Director at Target
U of M '04 -- Graphic Design

Drew Covi, UIX Design & Developer at Honeywell
U of M -- Graphic Design

Paul Derby, UX Designer, Honeywell
Texas Tech -- Psychology

A few pieces of advice I found particularly helpful were:

-- Connect with people on social media, especially Twitter. Follow agencies you're interested in and make sure the link to your website/portfolio is in your bio.

-- Informational interviews and networking are everything. Attend and volunteer at American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) events. Be a face people start recognizing.

-- Invest time in personal projects, startups, freelance, etc. It can fill out a portfolio, it's something that will set you apart from other designers, and it shows you have initiative.

-- Finally, don't stress about finding the perfect job. Find a job you think you could enjoy (for at least a year), try something new, connect with people, and learn a lot.

Until next time,

Leah
Graphic Design

Posted by Leah at 3:47 PM |

Don't Watch Life, Live It

I hope that everyone had a great Halloween weekend! I celebrated it here in London with some of my classmates. It was a fun experience to see how Londoners celebrate Halloween. It is not the same as in the states, but was still fun. Halloween here is apparently not that big, but the people who do celebrate it definitely get dressed up.

I also went to the city of Bath. It was such a beautiful city for a day trip destination. The buildings and scenery in Bath were gorgeous and somehow created a warm filter that felt like a sunset the whole time. It definitely had a much more relaxed vibe than London.

I'm not going to lie, but I did sacrifice getting work done in order to take the day trip to Bath. I do think the experience was worth the upcoming late nights that I'll be having to catch up though. I'm not encouraging putting off your homework and enduring sleep deprivation, but I do encourage you to take every opportunity to try and experience new things. College is definitely about learning through classes and homework, but it is also learning through experiences as well. This is the time where most people have their greatest growth as a person, so if an opportunity comes, don't let it pass you by. The study abroad program here demands a lot and has high expectations, but I knew that if I solely concentrated on my homework, I would be missing out on the amazing things here in England. How often am I going to get this opportunity to be able to travel so easily to places I've never been?

Here are some pictures from Bath.
DSC_0200.jpg DSC_0213.jpg DSC_0221.jpg DSC_0254.jpg

Remember, I'm not encouraging you to put off your homework, but I'm merely saying don't let the world and life pass you by.

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see more of my pics.

Lee
Apparel Design

Posted by tranx671 at 2:52 PM |

So you like design...but what else?

Happy November everyone!

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have a lot of interest in sustainability, which has lead me to include sustainability in my studies here at the U of M. So let's talk about minors!

I decided to make Sustainability Studies my minor at the end of my first year here. Being an architecture student, I have a lot of interest in green building design, efficient systems, and material studies. So it made sense to pair the Sustainability Studies minor with my architecture degree. In fact, many other architecture students feel the same way, since architecture represents the most common major within the minor.

Minors provide a great opportunity to fulfill other interests that you may have, without taking on another major. They also work out pretty well to fulfill any upper division courses outside your major that you need to graduate. Most minors are around 15+ credits. For Sustainability Studies, there are two core courses, and three elective courses. There's a large range of courses, even an architecture course (!), that you can take to knock out the elective courses. It's really a lot of fun to be able to expand your education and meet people who aren't typically in your design courses.

I'm currently taking the Sustainability Studies capstone course, or the final required course for the minor. It's really interesting because we are paired with cities around the metro area to assist in their sustainability action plans. Being able to work with real cities, rather than a fictional city, and have a real impact has been a cool experience. We will be showcasing our work to community members at the Sustainability Fair later this month.

SustainabilityFair.jpg

So remember, don't feel the need to focus on only one interest if you have many! Your first year is the time to try new things!

Margo
Architecture

Posted by Margo at 10:12 PM |

Concrete Jungle - New York City

Hello again!

Today I come bearing some exciting news about plans that I have in store for Fall 2015 -- I'm going to New York!!

How it all started:
Last year I was browsing through Katie's blog posts (she was the Retail Merchandising student blogger before me) and saw her post about her semester studying in New York City. I was immediately intrigued and contacted her asking about her experience.

What I did next:
I followed up with my adviser, Katrina, and she gave me further information regarding the partnership that the University of Minnesota College of Design has with The Fashion School at Kent State University's New York Studio. This program is typically a semester long.

What I'm doing now:
I just recently got my acceptance letter into the program -- yay! Now, I have to fill out a series of confirmation paperwork and start apartment hunting for my semester stay.

What I'm planning on doing in New York City:
I plan on completing about 15 credits at Kent State's Fashion Studio in addition to completing my internships. I also plan to live like a New Yorker to the best of my ability. This will be a once in a lifetime experience and I want to make the most of it!

I will keep you updated on my journey as the year continues. Please ask me questions if you're interested in the program or would like to know more about my process. I know that if I didn't ask Katie questions I would never be in the position that I'm in today!

unnamed.jpg

Style On,
Bethanie
Retail Merchandising

Posted by Bethanie at 8:20 PM |

Afternoon Trip to Ft. Snelling State Park

Today I took a trip to Fort Snelling State Park, located along the Mississippi River in the heart of the Twin Cities--just another example of how unique the Twin Cities metropolitan location is.

The park, named after an old military camp used to control transportation on the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers, is filled with amazing walking paths, bike paths, and skiing and hiking trails. Other activities include, canoeing, swimming, fishing, bird watching, and so much more. The park itself is hundreds of acres, and after factoring in other adjacent parks, you have access to thousands of acres of river and forest land to explore. Just in one trip I saw deer, beavers, ducks, and a fox.

I recommend a trip to the state park because you get to enjoy some beautiful nature and learn about a piece of Twin Cities history. Just remember to bring a camera!

Allen
Landscape Design and Planning

Snelling_1.jpg

Snelling_2.jpg

Snelling_4.jpg

Snelling_5.jpg

Posted by Allen at 3:39 PM |

So Busy!

It's post-midterms and things are really starting to get busy around the U of M. There's this project and that project, this exam and that paper, and it can be a lot as we get closer and closer to the end of the semester. The work can add up and it's important that we don't let it get the best of us!
Cirque_Banner_2014.jpg
There are so many ways to manage all these to-dos and the stress that comes with them. Boynton Health Service hosts a Cirque De-Stress event focused on giving students a break from the stress of the semester and an opportunity to have some fun. It's a free event at Coffman Memorial Union that features aerialists, high-wire walkers, clowns, jugglers, and more. It's a great way to get away from the stress for a little while!

Other ways to manage stress include an efficient use of time and helping your mind get away from it all. I've found that a great way is to get together with classmates to work on projects. They understand the stress because they are going through it too, and it can help make getting all the work done a little more manageable and pleasant.

The most important thing to remember through this stressful time of the semester is that it will end, we will survive and make it to winter break, and you can do it!

Megan
Interior Design

Posted by mill6185 at 2:14 PM |

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Hello Everyone!

It's the most wonderful time of the year...Registration! Most people cringe when they have to start thinking about registering for classes because it definitely can be a stressful experience. However, I for one am excited. In two weeks, I will be registering for my last ever spring semester! It's so crazy to think about how far I have come since I started at the U of M 2.5 years ago. I've grown so much, as both a designer and a person, and I'm so excited to see what these last two semesters will bring.

Schedule 2.jpg

I am also excited because my credit load for my last two semesters will be significantly lighter as well. I only need to take 14 credits next semester and 6 credits next fall to complete my degree. This means I now have a lot of options. I can either choose to go part-time my last semester and save some money by paying per credit, or I can go full-time and take a few fun classes that I'm interested in. I'm not sure which I option I'm going to choose yet, but I've been looking into a few interesting classes such as Yoga, Floral Design, Wines and Vines, and Snowboarding. Check out the Class Search function on OneStop and search by subject or go to the Course Guide to see if anything looks interesting to you!

Until next time,

Leah
Graphic Design

Posted by Leah at 4:52 PM |

A Designer in London

Well I'm in my sixth week of this 14-week program at Central Saint Martins. The work I'm doing here is definitely different compared to back home at the University of Minnesota, and it has made me appreciate the knowledge that that the College of Design has given me. Both of the schools have amazing qualities and I'm so grateful to have the opportunity to experience them both. That said, I guess no matter where you go, as long as you are in a fashion design program, you are in for a lot of work. So if you are thinking about doing fashion as a career, be prepared.

Studying here requires a lot of independent work, self-motivation, and being comfortable with ambiguity. These are qualities that a good designer should be comfortable with. Along with those qualities, a good designer also knows the importance of research and development to really give their designs creativity and uniqueness.

One of my teachers here said something that really stuck with me: "If you design from your head, without any research and development, you may come up with great designs in the beginning, but it will eventually run out, because you only design things that you already know." That's some knowledge I learned here, that I'm giving to you. Research can be tedious, especially if you already have ideas that you are set on. But research, if done correctly, can take your designs and ideas to the next level.

Here are some things that I've been working on here:

Learning to use the knitting machine.
Knitting Machine.jpg

Jewelry class experimentation.
Jewellery Class.jpg

Go to http://blog.lib.umn.edu/design/studentblogs/ to follow my blog and keep up with my life studying here in London. Also, make sure to check out the UMNDesign Instagram to see some of my pics.

Lee
Apparel Design

Posted by tranx671 at 7:47 PM |

Trip to D.C.

This summer, I had the opportunity to visit our nation's capital. As a landscape architecture student, I found it really cool to visit all the monuments and the city of Washington D.C. These monuments have a lot of meaning behind them, and it showed more than I imagined. I found the Korean War Veterans Memorial, the National World War II Memorial, and the Arlington National Cemetery particularly interesting.

Korean War Memorial.jpg
The Korean War Veterans Memorial was somewhat eerie because you are surrounded by statues of soldiers lurking through a garden of juniper. It was especially neat at night. Lights dimly lit the monuments so all you saw were figures coming out of the garden, and with a little fog that night, it was spectacular.

WWII_a.jpg
The National World War II Memorial portrays a sense of one nation. Every state is represented by large columns that create an arcade outlining a fountained pond. This is one of the newest memorials on the campus, which opened in 2004.

Arlington Cemetery.jpg
Lastly, the Arlington National Cemetery may have been the most impactful to me. The cemetery is massive. It would take a couple of days to see the whole thing. You get amazing views of the city, including some incomparable views that mix emotion, patriotism and a picturesque landscape.

I think the trip to Washington D.C. helped me see the impact that landscape architecture has on a country, a cause, and a person. These monuments will stand for years to come and represent history and lives. Not many other professions get the opportunity to make impacts like landscape architecture.

Attached is a link about the monuments in Washington D.C.: http://washington.org/topics/monuments-memorials.

Allen
Landscape Design and Planning

Posted by Allen at 3:27 PM |

"But, I'm Sick..."

Let's start this post by giving U of M Twin Cities students a round of applause for finishing, or nearing the end of, midterms. We made it! Some easier than others, of course, but nonetheless they're over (for me at least!).

My midterms week didn't go as planned. I've been pretty sick all week and have made numerous trips back and forth to Boyton Health Services in hopes of feeling better. So far, no luck. I'm now back in my hometown, snuggled up on my parents' couch with Netflix and a hot cup of tea. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to share some tips about what college students should do if you wind up sick.

First, always email your professor stating that you'll be missing class. Nearly all professors will require you to show verification of your illness with a doctor's note. Boyton is a great place to go if you're feeling under the weather. It's right on campus and the staff is very friendly! Get examined, ask for a note for your classes, and further follow your doctor's instructions. Also, always keep your doctor's notes tucked away in a safe spot until the end of the semester just in case you need it in the future for additional verification of your absence. If you're sick during a week such as midterms, try your best to make it to your midterm. I promise you, it's much easier than going through the hassle of rescheduling your exam date and your professor will greatly appreciate it!

A few more obvious tips:
-- Take preventative measures (eat clean and exercise)
-- Drink a lot of water, hydration is key!
-- Sleep whenever you can
-- Call your parents or a close friend--sometimes hearing a comforting voice is all you really need :)

With all of this being said, stay healthy everyone!!

Stay tuned to my blog post within the coming weeks to see what this is all about:

BMNYC1.jpg

Style On,
Bethanie
Retail Merchandising

Posted by Bethanie at 7:27 PM |

Syndication