College of Design Student Blogs

The Life and Times of a Graphic Designer, Episode 1

Things in the Graphic Design program have been a little more relaxed for me over the last week. I've been stressing out a little bit, which can happen quite easily. I've been trying to take a step back and think about myself a little bit more these past few days, as advised by my faculty (to which I say to them...stop assigning homework and then maybe we'll talk).

Next week we're picking up steam again in Graphic Design 4: Integrated Campaign, though. We're turning in our "Define" portion of our rebranding process of a non-profit organization called World Savvy, in which I have to develop a persona or personas, find desired image attributes that fit the personas, and come up with design criteria that show each of the desired image attributes I list. It's really a fascinating process, and one that is different from the one we used in Graphic Design 2: Logo and Identity Design.

In Senior Seminar last week, we talked about a project that's kicking off on University Avenue this Friday. Due to the Central Corridor Light Rail construction, local businesses are going out of business left and right. There's a project being developed called Starling, which is meant to get start-up and small businesses into the empty spaces along University Avenue, and they're trying to design a logo that will represent the whole project. You can check out Ange Wang, one of the adjunct faculty in the Graphic Design program's post about it on our Senior Seminar blog at http://seniorseminar.posterous.com/a-starling-is-born-and-needs-an-identity. Please keep in mind that some of the things on that blog won't make sense out of context--so I recommend not exploring too much!

That's it for this week. Happy Homecoming!