College of Design Student Blogs

Welcome to the World of Housing

Greetings! My name is Jesse LaMaack and I am currently a junior in the College of Design majoring in housing studies/housing technology with a minor in architecture. Aside from school and work, I enjoy spending my free time with friends, playing in the snow, and people watching. I am also the vice president of the HOUS (Housing Organization for University Students) student group http://sua.umn.edu/groups/directory/show.php?id=227, and serve as the undergraduate representative for the College of Design’s academic technology committee. I will be blogging weekly, sharing my experiences and creative endeavors with you all.

I originally chose the housing studies program because it enabled me to apply my problem solving skills in a way to benefit others. My coursework so far has opened my eyes to the complex framework of housing, something nearly everyone considers to be a necessity. Housing is an interesting field of study, especially at a time when the housing market plays such a vital role in our nation’s economy.

Originally from a small farming community in southern Minnesota, I chose the U of M because it feels like a city within a city, with so much to do both on and off campus. Being in the College of Design is great because of the small and personal atmosphere, it makes me feel personally obligated to do my very best on every assignment! Being on the St. Paul Campus is also great, it’s a great getaway from where most of my life is centered around the bustling Minneapolis Campus. If you are in the area, check out our design facilities at McNeal Hall in St. Paul. http://cdes.umn.edu/scene/scene7.html

After graduation, I plan to work in the field of residential development or accessible design. I am also considering the prospect of continuing my education to attain a master’s degree in industrial design or historic preservation. There are so many things to learn in the housing program and I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all this year!

Jesse LaMaack

37913_1336231687485_1281870076_809370_7837508_n.jpeg