College of Design Student Blogs

Working for the Money...and other perks!

Working while going to school may sound like a tough break, having to juggle class schedules with work hours, etc., but it actually is quite rewarding. From my experiences, having held a part time job while going to school since freshman year, working while taking classes really helps you manage your time better.

As an incoming freshman, you may think that focusing on classes and not working is your best option, now I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea, just in my situation it really helped to have a job. Having a more ridged schedule with classes, work hours, etc. made you really make sure you got your homework and projects done in a timely manner.

There are a few different ways to find a job on campus. One is to check out the Job and Work Study Fairs the university holds during the beginning of each semester. If you happen to have work study funds you will be able to have access to more jobs on campus, which is great! The jobs you can hold range from receptionists and elementary school tutors to student office assistants and dining hall attendants. With such a large campus, there is a job for everyone!

I found my current job by searching the University's job website. I suggest checking this site early and often if you are looking for a specific type of job: tons are posted and filled each day so if you keep on top of things you are bound to find something that interests you.

I work as a student assistant and receptionist in the College of Design Dean's Office. Its a great job where I get to know the Dean and other staff members within the College. Finding the right job on campus can mean more than a paycheck, you can make some great connections with staff and professors you interact with daily!

Here is a picture of my office!

IMG_20111025_105057.jpg