College of Design Student Blogs

Finding the Right Match

Want to meet a professional in your field that has the same interests as you? Then the College of Design mentoring program is a great opportunity!

mentor.jpgThe College of Design has one of the largest mentoring programs on campus, even though it is one of the smallest colleges in the university. Students and mentors apply during the summer. The mentoring program then pairs them up based on their interests. Pro Tip: If you can't find a program to match you up with a mentor, seek out an older student or professional and ask them. The worst they can do is say no.

IMG_1542.JPGOn Wednesday, I met my mentor, a designer that works at AECOM, at the Mentor kick-off in McNamara Alumni Center. Since there are more students than mentors who apply, my mentor has two students. The three of us share a lot of interests, including historic preservation, sustainability, and design. The kick-off event facilitated our conversation (similar to speed dating) by providing a list of topics. All of us had already read Cradle to Cradle, which allowed us to discuss certain topics. Now that we've met, it will be easier to meet at future events in the Twin Cities.

My mentor also offered to critique my portfolio and studio work. We've scheduled our next meeting at AECOM where he will give us a tour. It will be nice to have a one-on-one informational tour instead of being in a large group.

That's all for now.

Holly Engle
Bachelor of Science - Architecture