College of Design Student Blogs

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Well, it's Thanksgiving week, and that means it's been below freezing at night for the better part of a month here in Minnesota! It dawned on me yesterday as I was talking to my group on the way to our client meeting that this winter has actually been milder in the past. The last two years, I had marched in a sleet or ice storm at rehearsal by now.

The reason why I am telling you this is not to scare you, but rather to share the reality of Minnesota winter. Yes, it's cold. Yes, it snows. Yes, it gets icy. All you need is a good winter coat and a pair of snow boots, and you'll survive the winter just like everyone else in the state has for the last hundred or so years.

You might be used to the concept of snow days. Not so here! Last year when the Snowpocalypse hit and we got about ten inches of snow in five hours, the U ended up canceling a hockey game. Granted, it was a Saturday, and nothing happens on Sunday. Business as usual on Monday! Sometimes, the running joke on campus is that it takes the thumb of God to close the U--but I have had cancelled classes due to snow in my four years of studying here.

Fact of the matter is, the snow is pretty, and campus is gorgeous and a lot of fun seeing it all lay around.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Patrick Puckett
Graphic Design BFA

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Blogging_0002.JPG Thumbnail image for Blogging_0001.JPG
The first snowfall of the season this past Saturday, and the leftover feeble attempt at a snow angel yesterday.