College of Design Student Blogs

Looking for a Big Kid Job

I was in Cincinnati, Ohio on Monday and Tuesday this week for my first ever "big kid" job interview. I wanted to share with you kind of the process that I went through trying to get myself ready for the inevitable job search, and offer some resources that are incredibly useful when it comes time to find your first job!

Like I already mentioned last week, it's so important to take advantage of career services. They helped me fine tune my resume so much my sophomore year, and they helped me learn the skills I needed to create a better resume without having to stop in every time I changed something.

It's never too early to start networking. Every year, the College of Design puts on some great College to Career programming, including Dirty Laundry (which I put the marketing materials for myself) and Design in 7. There are plenty of firm events every year too. Check out the College to Career portion of the CDes website at design.umn.edu/current_students/career/college_to_career.html.

Once you have access to it, you'll want to start using GoldPASS early. It's our campus jobs site where employers will post full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities for students to apply to. It's how I found the company that I interviewed at this week. Put a note in the back of your mind to check out goldpass.umn.edu when you're thinking about starting your job search.

Also, take DES 3201: Career and Internship Preparation for Design either your junior (that's when I took it) or senior year. It's a course that will give you so much knowledge about your job search that you might not have thought of on your own, and you gain credit for doing it.

Left to right: The view from my room on the 17th Floor of the Hyatt Regency on the south side of downtown; the fountain in Fountain Square; a view of the sunset over the river on my way to my interview.

That's it for this week!

Patrick Puckett
Graphic Design BFA