College of Design Student Blogs

Getting Around

I am currently a Junior at the University of Minnesota, and as most upper-class students do, I currently live off campus in an apartment I found myself. This does means I am farther away from campus and therefore my classes and day-to-day activities. Because of this, my morning and evening commute is a bit longer than most freshmen experience. My apartment is close to St Paul campus, which is where all of my design and retail merchandising classes are held. I spend most of my time on St Paul campus, because as an upperclassmen, almost all of my credits each semester are design related. I do have to venture over to East Bank a few times a week for general education classes as well as for my job, but St Paul is definitely my top visited campus.

As far as transportation, I do have a car, but it is used solely for groceries, trips to the mall, etc. As far as my transportation during the week to class and work, I always take the bus, via Metro Transit. You can check out the Metro Transit website here, there are tons of bus and light rail routes, so you're sure to find one that gets you where you need to go. http://metrotransit.org/maps-schedules.aspx

I have a Upass (pictured below with my Ucard) which is a pass, only for university students, that allows unlimited bus and light rail rides for one semester for only about $100 dollars. This is a great deal if you plan to bus to/from class or around the city. I have renewed and used my Upass every semester since I moved off campus, and it makes travel super convenient!

IMG_20111205_161102.jpg

Consider using public transit like I do when you move to the University, its cheap, convenient, and better for the environment!

Lucie Mulligan, Apparel Design