College of Design Student Blogs

On the fourth day of Finals...

My professors gave to me...four final projects and a week to get them all done.

No, I'm just kidding, it's not that bad. Finals can be a very overwhelming time, though, and there are several resources on campus that can help get you through them.

First of all, the SMART Learning Commons (https://wiki.umn.edu/SMART) offers peer tutoring services throughout the semester. Way back in the day when I was in precalculus, I went to a tutoring workshop and also a special event they held before our final exam.

Secondly, speaking of special events before final exams, SMART hosts an Exam Jam event every year to help students get started early on studying for their exams. Check out the flyer (pdf) to learn about it.

I know that personally, when I was in my math class, I thought the idea of visiting a tutor was a little degrading. We're all young and proud and think we're invincible at some point in our lives, right? Really, it's no big deal; students work together to work through the tough spots in your courses. AND I felt so much more comfortable and prepared going into my exams!

The beauty of Graphic Design coursework, though, is that our progress can't really be measured by final exams. It can, however, be measured by extremely lengthy final projects that will totally break your grade if you don't work hard. My advice is to start early and work often! Get a little done every day, and don't stop working until the creative juice stalls. Take a break for a little while, and get back at it as soon as you can.

I'm going to go work on my final project for Graphic Design 4: Integrative Campaign now!

Patrick Puckett, Graphic Design BFA

IMG_0383.JPG

My final project group for Journalism 4263: Strategic Communications Campaigns.