College of Design Student Blogs

Promoting Independence

It has been a busy but great week here as the semester is rapping up. A major highlight was a few days ago when I was given the opportunity by one of my professors to attend the UMore Park Academic Mission Advisory Board meeting, where I gave a short speech about our UMore Park-related work in the housing studies program.
umore cover.pngsafetyy.png
I mostly spoke about a project that I'm working on right now in my Promoting Independence in Housing and Community course, which focuses on creating and re-creating accessible and sustainable communities that support healthy aging. This is a huge subject of interest with the up and coming Baby Boom generation and a largely inaccessible housing stock throughout the nation. It has been great using the UMore Park project as a real-life example of developing for independence, and I felt proud to have been chosen to speak to the developers and Academic Mission Board.
In other news, my roommates recently decided to build a small skating rink in our yard in Dinkytown, which I'm fairly indifferent about. I'll post a picture of the finished product next week; it's really quite something. Winter is here!

Stay warm,

Jesse LaMaack - Housing Studies, B.S.