College of Design Student Blogs

Campus Visits

For over two years now, I've had a on-campus student position with the Admissions Visit Program. Since I started up work again this week after a short holiday vacation, I thought I would talk to you all about campus visits here at the U of M. While many of you have likely visited and toured a college campus before, a visit to the University of Minnesota as a prospective design student will likely be a memorable one!

Not only is the U of M one of the largest schools in the nation, it is also among the most comprehensive. With so many colleges and schools to see on our big, beautiful campus, our campus visits offer specialized visits to each of our freshman-admitting schools on Mondays and Fridays during academic terms and summers. Even better, we offer two different College of Design Visits--one for students interested in architecture/landscape design and planning, and another for prospective design, housing, and retail students.

These visits include a general information session, campus and residence hall tour of the East Bank Minneapolis Campus, an information session given by the College of Design, and a facilities tour (Rapson Hall on East Bank for architecture and landscape design and planning, McNeal Hall on the St. Paul Campus for design, housing, and retail majors).

After being a tour guide for a year and now the training coordinator for the visit program, I can tell you first-hand that a lot of work goes into campus visits because we want you to personally experience the U of M and picture yourself as a student there. Each college and school here has its own feel, and specialized visits to the College of Design are great because prospective students can see for themselves how unique and personable we really are. I strongly recommend it, I bet you'll be impressed! We're working hard behind the scenes to ensure you have a great visit!

IMG_0481.jpgIMG_0489.jpg

Hope to see you all at the Visit Office!

Jesse LaMaack - Housing Studies, B.S.