College of Design Student Blogs

Class Variety

Its back to school time! Today was my first day of the spring 2012 semester. Today I had two very different studio classes. One, "Studio IV", specializes in wearable technologies and technical design, while the other focuses on surface design with regards to fabric. I love the variety of studios here at the University! It is a great way to be able to explore your interests and talents while at school and decide what really interests you to pursue further. In our wearable technologies studio, we are going to be researching, designing, testing, and prototyping different aspects and garments with regards to space and flight (More on that next week, my class has a very exciting opportunity that will be taking place through the University in the spring!!!)

The other studio, my fabric surface design class is also very exciting. The cool part about having a full surface design studio available to you as a student is that you get to explore the other side of the clothing you design: the cloth itself. Utilizing a lot of the same principles and techniques you learn in your other design courses you are able to use various media to dye, print, alter, etc your own fabric. This is especially interesting from a clothing design student's perspective because fabric choice and placement on the body is key to a successful design. Having the chance to create a garment out of a textile you created as well is a great opportunity given to us by the University.

Here is a picture of some of the fun techniques we experimented with today in my surface design class! It is called "Shibori Stitching" and it is an ancient form of resist dyeing.

IMG_20120117_193144.jpg

Lucie Mulligan, Apparel Design