College of Design Student Blogs

Doing Other Stuff

As we're about a third of the way through winter break this week, I thought it might be appropriate to talk about the importance of hobbies and other activities while in school.

Frankly, if all students in the College of Design did was design, we'd have burned out a long time ago.

There are a few things that I like to do in my spare time. One of them is taking pictures. Last year, since I know I hate self-improvement New Year's Resolutions, I decided that I would take a picture every day for the whole year. Some people call these "365 Day Photo Projects." Well, I did it. I just need to get pictures from December 20-31 up in my Facebook album, and then I'll be all set.

Another thing that I like to do is color guard. I have been doing it now for over 8 years. This year, I'm too old to compete in A or Open Class winter color guard--I would have to participate in World Class because I'm 23 now. Because there are no World Class guards in Minnesota, and I've gotten relatively good at what I do, I'm actually teaching winter color guard at one of the local area high schools. I might have mentioned that before.

One last thing to mention that I do quite a bit of is taking naps. Sounds like a lame hobby, I know, but I LOVE sleeping. I take naps during the day because I know I do my best thinking from somewhere around 2 am til about 5 am. I try not to do these stints too often, but sometimes they are necessary.

Basically, what I'm getting at this week is to make sure to bring with you a couple things you know you like to do not necessarily to distract you, but to keep you from being bored with what you're actually going to school for.

Patrick Puckett
Graphic Design MFA

2011December_24.JPG WGIChamps_0044.JPG
My Picture of the Day from Christmas Eve, and an action shot at Winter Guard International World Championships last winter where my guard placed 11th in Open Class out of 36 competitors! (I should also mention that our stained glass inspired floor was thanks to my Photoshop mastery in enlarging images!)