College of Design Student Blogs

Winter break, not just a break...

Over winter break is a great time to relax and unwind after a very stressful semester and busy finals week. It is also a time to take care of some necessary college student related things that get put on the back burner during the school year. These can include selling back text books, buying next semester's books, getting your schedule all worked out: work and classes, meeting with your adviser about scholarships and other opportunities, etc.

Over this break I have been focusing on updating my professional portfolio on my website of designs and apparel I have created, and updating my resume to match. This can be time consuming, but it is important to maintain an up-to-date professional appearance while in school, a lot of opportunities present themselves when you aren't expecting them and it is best to be prepared. If you're interested in checking out my professional website, take a look here: (http://www.luciejane.com/)

Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 5.52.40 PM.png

Another thing I have been hard at work doing is scholarship hunting. Most college students, like myself, will need financial aid to attend school. This can include federal and state grants, loans and other things like scholarships. A great place to start your scholarship search is on your myu.umn.edu homepage. (www.myu.umn.edu) There is a link on the left hand side linking you to scholarships that are available to you based on your unique circumstances and majors, etc. Apply for many! It never hurts.

Hope to see all of you at the Dean's Reception in February!

Lucie Mulligan, Apparel Design