College of Design Student Blogs

Dean's Reception Recap

DSC_4056.jpgIn this week's blog, I will be addressing some important questions I received at the Dean's Reception. A common question was about the different architecture degrees the University of Minnesota offers (Bachelor of Arts, Design in Architecture, Science). "Why did you pick the Bachelor of Science?" I decided to go with the B.S. degree because of the studio structure, courses, and admission. Due to my personality, I am always seeking opportunities to excel, which is why I applied to the B.S. The B.S. admits about sixty students after their second year. The degree contains four studio courses, technical courses, and three to four elective courses. The structure and rigor of the degree allows for the development of relationships unlike other college degrees.

If you're not sure which degree is right for you now, don't worry: there are many courses prior to applying to the B.S. to help you decide. Design Fundamentals I & II will help you decide which course is right for you.

Another question: "Why did you pick the pre-professional degree over a five-year master's degree from a different university?" Besides having a great architecture program, the University of Minnesota is an amazing school with an assortment of amenities including a myriad of student groups, quality medical services, free legal assistance etc. Beyond the campus, we have a great metropolitan community that cares about education and the success of students by creating opportunities. The professional community and school realize the importance of creating a strong connection.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to comment on my blog.

Thanks!
Holly
Architecture - Bachelor of Science

More Examples of Work:

Architecture Watercolor: Museum dedicated to the Plastic Vortex

IMG_5318.JPG

Design Fundamentals I: Container
composition.jpg