College of Design Student Blogs

Going to the Dentist

Judging by my experience today, I think it's safe to say that no one likes going to the dentist. But, it has to be done, and low and behold, you can see the dentist right here on campus.

I actually started using the dental clinic here at the U way back in 2007. I had my wisdom teeth taken out at Moos Tower my senior year of high school. Last October, I went to the dental clinic again to get a tooth that I had chipped filled back in. It was easy as cake, and the dentist did a great job!

In December, I'd gone in to have a routine cleaning. Well, here's what happens when you don't get your teeth cleaned in a while: they get really concerned about your gums and dig around. A lot. Obviously, that's all my fault, but that didn't make me accept the consequences any sooner!

Today I had to go back in to get the other side of my mouth cleaned, as they'd done only my left side in December (that side was healthier at the time). Today I had to get Novocain, and it still wasn't a very pleasant experience.

Anyway, long story short, there are options for students to see a dentist if they can't see their normal dentist back home over breaks, or if an emergency should happen. Also, starting this past year, the U partnered with MetLife to create a voluntary student dental insurance option--which I purchased. It really helps cover a lot of costs, and I wouldn't have been able to afford to fix my chip without it.

Visit the dental clinic's website at http://www.bhs.umn.edu/east-bank-clinic/dental-clinic.htm and also check out the MetLife voluntary dental option at http://www.shb.umn.edu/voluntary-student-dental-plan.htm if that sounds of interest to you!

Patrick
Graphic Design BFA

IMG_20120207_135039.jpg

The Boynton Health Service building on the East Bank Campus, which holds the dental--among many others--clinic.

Thanks for the shared links. I do share your moments with the denstist and reading what you wrote,made me even more scared, because I have not had my teeth cleaned in very long time, so do not even want to think about it.