College of Design Student Blogs

Making time for oneself

It's easy with our hectic yet fulfilling schedules to forget to take the time to smell the roses. That's exactly what I've been trying to do these past few weeks. Whether its simply taking the time to enjoy the nice winter day on my way to the bus stop in the morning, or sitting in the Rapson Hall Courtyard and simply looking around at everyone working, eating or relaxing themselves. Maass_Brothers_Ice_Fishing.jpg After all people watching is always enjoyable. Recently I've been working on an analysis of children as pedestrians and the skills they need to learn to be able to safely cross the street as well as the design of streets. My area of focus is in North Minneapolis along West Broadway Avenue. The study is proving very interesting and should help me as I focus in on my final project for the semester. This weekend I play to again take the time to smell the roses as I am going home to Freedom, Wisconsin (just north of Green Bay, Wisconsin) and plan on seeing a few High School friends along with Family and of course hitting up a few lakes to get some ice fishing in. Making time for yourself during your college years is very important and you'll find you're more productive when you do sit down to work on your studies.

I'll leave you with a little quote from my High School principal... "Make it a great day or not, the choice is yours" - Mrs. Arndt

Eric
Accelerated Bachelor of Environmental Design - May 2011
Masters of Landscape Architecture - Expected May 2013