College of Design Student Blogs

Red Hearts for Fashion

Hello everyone! This past weekend I was able to be a part of a great fashion show at the Mall of America. February is Womens Heart Health month and this it was part of the month long events around the cities. The fashion was called Red Hearts For Fashion and it was part of an event called Go Red for Women, promoting awareness of womens' heart health. It was a great event to be a part of and I had a ton of fun. There were two shows Saturday throughout a few other events during the afternoon. Seven other design students from my class also showed pieces. It was a wonderful day of crazy fashion festivities, and some of our faculty even came to watch. It was great seeing them really take an interest in our projects outside of class!

As part of the event, we were challenged to create designs that were inspired by heart health, in women specifically. I created a tennis work-out outfit, designed to promote healthy exercise, but also to allow the wearer to look cute and feel good about the way she looks.

Here are a few shots of my model, Sarah, and myself!

untitled shoot-028.jpg

untitled shoot-023.jpg

I also had the wonderful opportunity to present my design and be interviewed on Twin Cities Live last Wednesday, as part of a preview for the show. One of my apparel design professors helped me with getting this media opportunity, so it definitely helps to get to know and form relationships with your faculty! You never know what a connection will help you reach in the future.

Lucie, Apparel Design