College of Design Student Blogs

The Daily Adventure

One of my favorite parts of being a housing student is that we get the rare opportunity to personalize the major based on our personal interests, revolving around one of the five areas of concentration. For most of us including myself, this gives us some freedom to cross disciplines and try new things. As I'm pretty much rapping up my core housing coursework this semester and diving into my technology concentration, my new spring semester routine is anything but dull. Here's what a typical Tuesday/Thursday is like for me (note that I somehow found a way to cram my 15 credit schedule into three days a week) :

IMG_0663.JPG IMG_0571.jpg

Depending on the weather, and also my highly variable early morning attitude, I will make my way to the West Bank Campus either on foot or by bus (how many people honestly get the opportunity to walk over the Mississippi River every morning, right?). After some coffee and a glance at the Minnesota Daily, I head to my Housing Policy course at the Humphrey School of Public Affairs at half past nine. Housing Policy is pretty much the highlight of my week so the two hours fly by and before I know it I'm on headed to the Bell Museum of Natural History on East Bank for my Architecture and Ecology class. I have a 20 minute break in between, enough time to take the bus or walk (the weather was amazing today, so I got some exercise).

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0573.JPG

After Architecture and Ecology, I get an hour for lunch and head to work at Admissions for a few hours in Jones Hall. Then I'm on my way to Smith Hall for my Design Fundamentals I (famously known as DF1) course. If the weather is being ridiculous, I can always make it from Jones Hall to Smith Hall through the Gopher Way tunnel and skyway system. After DF1, I hop on the Campus Connector en route to the St. Paul Campus, relax a bit, and go to my housing class where we work with ArcGIS (Geographic Information System). ArcGIS is basically a really great modern-day cartography program that allows us to analyze and assess housing and geography through mapmaking. I could go on all day about how much you can do with it.

IMG_0678.jpg IMG_0553.jpg

By the time I'm home it's pushing 10:00 p.m. and will often join my friends and roommates for a late "family dinner" before I start winding down and finish some final touches on my studio assignments (below), due on Wednesdays. A long day, but definitely not boring (and I have Mondays and Fridays off!). I always come home with a good story or two about my day to share with friends. I love it here. :]

IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0669.JPG

Jesse - Housing Studies, B.S.