College of Design Student Blogs

Keeping In Touch

Being away at college, you often gain new friends and your life changes drastically from how it was. You grow, mature, develop new interests, and become very, very busy. With all this change happening, it becomes very difficult to stay in contact with family and old friends on a regular basis. Yes, there are some who look at this as an opportunity to get away from not-so-great friends or gain freedom with parents, so you may not want regular contact. But for most people there is at least one or two people that they want to stay close to and not loose contact with. For this reason, I thought that I would write about some simple ways of staying in touch.

(my best friends from home)
carrot.jpg

Even though I am in college and have some of the greatest friends here, my best friends still happen to be my friends from high school; this is not typical, especially for a junior in college. With all us attending different colleges, my friends and I were determined to stay in touch. So we developed a plan on keeping up with one another. Here are three easy tips on how to stay touch with those you love.

Mass Facebook Messaging - Start a mass message thread on facebook, my friends and I have 7 person thread. Whenever something major, or even minor, happens in our lives we write a little something about it. This keeps everyone in the loop and then when we get together, we have able to go off of our messages and into further detail.

Short Daily Texts- Mostly everyone has texting now days, take advantage of that. Acknowledge the important people in your life and let them know that you are thinking of them. This can be done with just a simple "I miss you."

Schedule Time to Talk- Whether it's an individual phone call or mass person skype date, make the time to talk to the valued people in your life, as difficult as it may be, you want them to know you are invested in them.

Hope that was helpful!
-Sasenka - Retail Merchandising