College of Design Student Blogs

No Rest for the Wicked!

You are probably getting sick of me talking about advertising stuff, but it's such a focal point in my life right now that it's hard not to!

So it's spring break this week. Where am I? I'm in McNeal Hall daily from 8 am to 11 am, then I head over to Murphy Hall by 11:30 am where I stay inside working with a great group of students on the National Student Advertising Competition! I started off the week by laying out the first ten pages of our case study that's due to the American Advertising Federation by March 29. Yesterday, we went out into the Saint Anthony Main area of Minneapolis to capture some pictures for our print ads. I wish I could share, but until the competition is over, it's all very hush-hush!

HipsterTrip_0022crop.jpg

Don't tell me what to do!

Also on the list of things to accomplish this spring break is finalizing five concepts for my Honors thesis project, which is creating a logo and identity system for the U of M Marching Band. I did the typography part of it last week, and hopefully by Monday or Wednesday of next week I will be done with five logo ideas.

I also forgot until this morning that there are three positions I'd like to apply for at a local advertising agency called Colle+McVoy (http://collemcvoy.com). Two are internships, and one is a full-time position as an Art Director. The internships are in Account Planning (secondary and primary research, understanding the target audience, drafting creative briefs), and the other is a Digital Studio Artist intern (creating mock-ups for multimedia use, basically...some HTML/CSS coding necessary).

All in all, a busy week!

Patrick
Graphic Design B.F.A.