College of Design Student Blogs

Our Lovely Facilities

Facilities are an important factor to many prospective design students when choosing their future school. They are places where students tend to spend a lot of time - attending class, working in the studios, researching, studying, doing group projects, etc. One unique feature of the College of Design at the U of M is our facilities, and how they further enable us to think creatively.

mcneal.jpeg Rapson1.jpeg

Being one of the smallest colleges at the U of M, the College of Design is geographically separated into two entities - McNeal Hall on the St. Paul Campus for students in DHA (Design, Housing, and Apparel), and Rapson Hall on the East Bank of the Minneapolis Campus for students in the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture. While it is debated to this day whether the geographic separation should continue, most students would say they like the small and friendly atmosphere at their respective location and wouldn't have it any other way.

mcneal.int.JPG Rapson.jpeg

McNeal Hall has been my "home base" for most things school-related in the beginning years of the housing program. Spending time on the St. Paul Campus is great - a completely different world compared to the Minneapolis Campus and just a short bus ride away (via Campus Connector). These days, I've been spending more time in Rapson Hall as I'm currently working on my Architecture minor. Personally, I think both are great - you can check them out for yourself if you come on a campus visit!

Jesse - Housing Studies, B.S.