College of Design Student Blogs

Virtual Reality

Hello!

If you're feeling the need to express your artistic talent and gain experience for your future as an architect, you should consider exploring computer modeling. The University of Minnesota Architecture program teaches you a variety of computer programs including Google Sketchup, AutoCAD, 3DsMax, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Kerkythea, etc. These programs will teach you the basics, which will allow you to explore other programs like Rhino and Revit.

For my current studio project, I learned Revit. At first, I was a little hesitant for diving into a program that I've never used, but then I realized how efficient it was. Instead of drawing something three or four times, it draws a wall in 3D, section, plan, and elevation. It also has a rendering feature that makes your model look realistic. And as a student, you get a free 3 year trial from AutoDesk. If you don't have a computer or it's lacking some juice, the Rapson Hall computer lab has Revit. The lab also contains dual screen monitors, which makes modeling much more efficient than on a cramped laptop screen. You can even walk through your virtual model using the new Virtual Reality installation in the Rapson Courtyard!

Next Monday is my review and tomorrow I leave for a trip to the AIAS 2012 Spring Quad Conference in Detroit, MI. Pro Tip: strive to have effective time management so you don't miss out on fun events!

I hope you're looking forward to next week's blog about Detroit!

Holly
Architecture-Bachelor of Science

Revit Cabin Renderings

iNTERIORLAKE.jpg
Dusk.jpg