College of Design Student Blogs

Back from NYC!

To sum it up in one word, the trip was awesome!

class@centralpark.jpgOn the first day I landed in NYC 9 hours before the rest of my classmates which gave me a lot of time to go site seeing on my own. I went to Battery Park which had a number of monuments and memorials, then Wall Street, Pier 17, 55 Water Street - The Elevated Acre, and Union Square. Topped the day off with a free bbq at the hostel we stayed at in Brooklyn, NY.

The next day we went site seeing as a class to the former Brooklyn Navy Yards, Paley Park, and Central Park (which, by the way is entirely man made and originally was a swamp!) The third day we met with associates from Michael Van Valkenburgh & Associates,Terrain NYC, and an engineer who worked on the East River Esplanade to get an idea of what working in a design firm in NYC was like. Some awesome teams doing some really great work!

The last day we had with our professor we visited The High Line, Bryant Park (which sits in front of the New York Public Library), Teardrop Park, Irish Hunger Memorial, and Times Square.

Sunday was a day on our own which we spent doing some shopping and visited the 9/11 memorial site. We all agreed we liked the design very much but were utterly disappointed in the way in which some of the visitors treated it as more of a tourist attraction than a memorial.

It was a busy schedule, but i'm glad we went every where we did! Now back to school work...

Till next week,

Eric
Accelerated Bachelor of Environmental Design - May 2011
Master of Landscape Architecture - Expected May 2013