College of Design Student Blogs

Behind the Scenes

Hello all! This past weekend I had the great opportunity to work behind the scenes on a photo shoot for apparel designer Christopher Straub. For those of you who don't know, Christopher Straub was on Season six of Project Runway back in 2008. Christopher is originally from right here around the cities and has been designing his own line ever since Project Runway. He has also been collaborating with the national retailer Maurice's to design a biannual line for their stores. In other words, he is a very successful designer in the area! Going to the University and living in the Twin Cities opens up lots of opportunities like this one, to meet and work side-by-side with professional designers.

This is the third time I have worked with Christopher for his work. The previous two times I worked backstage on two runway shows he was putting on. This time it was for a huge photo shoot for his Spring Summer 2012 line. He also incorporated some of his accessories and shoes he designed for Maurice's into the shoot, which was a cool way to see the mix of his personal and more public designs come together.

Here are a few shots I took while working backstage!

IMG_20120401_164815.jpg

I was in charge of organizing and styling all the above looks! Notice my frantic numbering and scribbles!

IMG_20120401_164808.jpg

I was also responsible for steaming and keeping all these garments tidy. Assisting professional designers isn't always glamorous but you really learn a lot!

Lucie, Apparel Design