College of Design Student Blogs

LA: 3004 - Informants of Creating Landscape Space

I'd like to dedicate this blog to a class that was particularly helpful as an undergraduate student. LA 3004 - Informants of Creating Landscape Space. This class was all about studying Carver County here in Minnesota (southern metro area).
GIS Image.jpg
We used a program called Geographic Information Systems (GIS for short). We used this program to analyze a great deal of data about the area; everything from geology, to susceptibility to contamination, to areas which provide the best habitat for local wildlife. All of this data crunching would create maps of the area that we then used to coincide with our reports (some of which got to 20-30 pages!) I realize you're probably having the same reaction to that page number as I originally did, but trust me when I say they go quickly. You go through your "methodology" step by step and outline how you got the data and conclusions that you did. And the professor Dave Pitt helps you throughout the entire process, often staying well past when the class ended to make sure we got all of our questions answered.

The class we very helpful because I gained a higher understanding of how to use GIS (you take a introductory course in GIS prior to taking this class) and it has proved very helpful to me in my studies ever since.

Have a great week!

Eric
Accelerated Bachelor of Environmental Design - May 2011
Masters of Landscape Architecture - Expected May 2013