College of Design Student Blogs

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

As I've mentioned in previous entries, the housing major's flexibility encourages us to venture out and try our hand at other related disciplines to fulfill one of the five areas of concentration. In pursuit of the housing technology focus and subsequent architecture minor, my work this semester has been dramatically different than what I've been use to in housing - forcing me to step out of my comfort zone and apply my design thinking skills. While transitioning from the "People, Place, Policy" framework of most housing courses was a bit confusing at first, my architecture classes are teaching me a different approach of looking at things (literally) - I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

j.JPG .jpg

Project 3 in ARCH 1281, Design Fundamentals 1, has kept me quite busy this week and the end product would probably confuse a casual onlooker who happened to see it. A running theme of the course so far has challenged us to look at everyday objects in a way that nobody else has. For Project 3, my fellow students and I were told to select an inexpensive and plentiful material of our choice, and three simple hand tools one could find around the house. We then were instructed to manipulate the material with said tools in whatever ways we could imagine - the only rule being that we aren't allowed to use the tool in the way in which it was designed to be used. Twelve prototypes of new (and mostly unrecognizable) material manipulations are due tomorrow morning, and I will tell you that it's not as easy as it may seem! Behind every good design is a long sequence of trial and error, and now I see why!

Enjoy your week!

Jesse - Housing Studies, B.S.