College of Design Student Blogs

Back from Virginia!

Last night, I returned to the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport from a week-long vacation visiting an old friend in Charlottesville, Virginia. It was great to get away for a while, and I must say that Virginia is quite beautiful (I'd never been there before). We spent a lot of time traversing the Blue Ridge Mountains outside of town and seeing Charlottesville's historic sites. It does feel good to be back in Minnesota though - the extreme humidity of Virginia made it feel like I was in Florida!

CHO.JPG blueridgemts.JPG

Charlottesville is also home to the University of Virginia (UVA), founded in 1819 by former U.S. President Thomas Jefferson. I visited the campus a few times while I was in the area, it's really quite beautiful. I also picked up a book while I was on campus, written by a professor called Sustainable Affordable Prefab. The book loosely follows the Solar Decathlon housing project in Washington DC, a competition which the U of M also participates in. I finished the book in just three days, and it gave a lot of ideas and insight for possible UROP research projects next spring!

UVA.JPG PReefab.jpg

Have a great week!

Jesse LaMaack - Housing Studies, B.S.