College of Design Student Blogs

Hello Future Designers!

My name is Sean Mateer and I am from Dousman, Wisconsin, which is about 40 minutes southwest of Milwaukee. Below is a picture of me with the Ski and Snowboard Club in Jackson Hole, Wyoming (I'm on the far left). If you want to get more information on the club, check out their Facebook page.

jackson.jpg

In the fall I will be starting my junior year in the graphic design program here at the University of Minnesota. I never planned on going to school for design, however I am really enjoying the program and I am extremely glad I transfered.

Believe it or not, I came to the U of M thinking I was going major in engineering, but quickly realized I wasn't looking forward to studying math for the rest of my college career. I have always enjoyed designing and building with whatever materials I could get my hands on. As a child, I was constantly playing with Legos and K'nex. My bedroom floor seemed to have a permanent blanket of those little plastic pieces. When I was a little older, I attempted to build my own snowboards and skateboards. All of this building throughout my childhood convinced my parents and myself that I would be going to college to study engineering. Image their surprise when I told them I was transferring to the College of Design for graphic design.

Throughout high school, I had developed an interest in photography and "graphic design" (a.k.a. photoshopping animals onto peoples heads), but I didn't think of applying my interest to a graphic design degree until one of my friends in the design program convinced me to apply. I was still feeling a little bit discouraged after discontinuing my education toward an engineering degree, but soon realized that design was what I really wanted to be doing all along. Design is the analyzing, researching, problem solving and building of engineering that I have always loved without the mind-numbing, headache-inducing math.

This summer, I am working at the College of Design Student Services as a Graphic Designer. When I am not working or studying during the school year, I enjoy listening to music and going to local concerts, cycling, and snowboarding. I also really enjoy exploring the Twin Cities as much as possible. There are so many great places to go and awesome restaurants to eat at.

That's all for now but be sure to check back! I will be frequently posting topics related to my experience at the U of M as well as advice for getting the most out of the College of Design and the Twin Cities.

Sean M.
Graphic Design