College of Design Student Blogs

Laser cut, Laser cut, Laser cut!

Its a busy time of year as final studio project due dates are coming up. This makes for a very busy place at Rapson Hall - The Digital Fabrication Lab, home of our THREE laser cutters. These laser cutters are a students best friend as they save countless hours (and perhaps even a finger or two, wohoo for safety!) for each of us in cutting time. One of the laser cutters is made available for reservations making it very convenient for those students on tight schedules. The other two are on a first come first serve basis. I was unfortunately reminded of some advice I got from my high school wood shop teacher... "measure twice, cut once". I'll admit I cut a few pieces twice resulting in wasted time and additional stress. As for the actual working of the laser cutters... no worries, there is always a lab attendant there to help you out when you have a question.

studio_laser_cut_model.jpg

This brings me to the stress of finals week. My best advice and remedy is to find an activity that you can do for as little as ten minutes to help take your mind of things for a bit. Also, creating to-do lists can be very helpful in staying organized and ensuring you don't forget about anything. Speaking of to do lists... Its time I get back to mine, just 8 hours until I present my studio final!

Eric
Accelerated Bachelor of Environmental Design - May 2011
Masters of Landscape Architecture Candidate - May 2013